From an unpaid invoice to a leading creative network
In 2008, Matt Dowling spent his last £300 on a lawyer in an effort to recover £11,000 that was owed to him from an unpaid invoice. The
final attempt failed. Matt, a freelance photographer, was in broke, frustrated and lost. The
story made the paper and freelancers reached out with similar tales. Realising the need for support
and determined to put a stop to the exploitation of creative freelancers, the first seeds of Freelancer Club were sown.
Today, Freelancer Club is one of the leading creative communities online with over 50,000 members supporting one another. Their campaign to end exploitative unpaid work,
#NoFreeWork, has made huge headway and Matt
Dowling has become one of the leading voices in the creative freelance sector.
- Build a community who support one another
- Create a platform to showcase creativity
- Never promote unpaid work
- Provide business resources and honest advice
- Fight for the rights of freelancers
- Make freelancers feel valued