GRAVITAS, an online extension of The Stony Brook School, is seeking part-time teachers to teach our online Middle School Digital Art, Intro to Digital Photography, Intro to Graphic Design and Advanced Graphic Design classes beginning August 14, 2023.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the country's most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented, entrepreneurial team. With talented students from around the country and around the globe coming to us from a variety of faith backgrounds, potentially world-changing ministry opportunities abound. All candidates should have demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School's mission statement. Please visit our website to learn more about the school and our mission at gravitas.sbs.org.
- A bachelor's or master's degree that focused on digital art, ideally with experience in graphic design, animation, and photography
- At least three years of teaching experience, including online instruction
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet grading and project deadlines
- Strong work ethic, high energy, and strong ability to connect with teenagers in the online context
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond quickly to all communications
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- High proficiency with technology, including the ability to learn and utilize a learning management system like Canvas LMS, online software tools like the Adobe CC Suite, and the ability to create screencasts and videos.
- Consistent and dependable high speed internet access
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers, openness to providing and receiving feedback as part of a culture of transparency
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and school community members
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, as our students come from all over the world
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
- Provide engaging synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Classes meet twice a week for 83 minutes each.
- Grade student work and record students progress, provide feedback
- Be available for virtual office hours.
- Collaborate with other faculty, parents and stakeholders and participate in weekly meetings
- Help organize virtual gallery shows
- Assist students in entering art competitions and preparing portfolios